Sunday 4 September 2016

zum Damenhaus: title explained

Greetings people,

I thought it would be appropriate to post a translation for all non german speaking persons out there. Along the way I clarify why I chose this title. 

"zum Damenhaus"

The english equivalent for the word "dame" would be "lady". Add the "n" and you have the plural of it: "damen".
If I today think of a "Dame" it would look something like this (picture to the left).
Quite old fashioned, right? However, the word is still in german use.

The last part "haus" simply translates to "house".
So you could say it's a house full of ladys.

If you run "zum" through a dictonary you usually get three results:
  • "for"
  • "for the"
  • "to the"
Sometimes "zum" can be indeed "for" as in "zum Beispiel", which means "for example".

The reason it has the meaning of two words is because "zum" is a short way to say "zu dem", which is a combination of a preposition and an article.

So what exactly is the meaning behind this word and "Damenhaus" in combination?
In this context it refers to an inn!
It's actually somekind of wordplay where a certain location plays a role.
If someone asks you where do you go and you say:
"I go to the train station."
In german:
"Ich gehe zum Bahnhof."
But the train station isn't actually a train station, but more of a bar with that name for example!

I hope that explained the nature of the title a bit.

I didn't want the game to have "brothel" in it's name. Even if it is a brothel simulator, this word is just to common for these types of game. So I sticked with a german title.
I checked "zum Damenhaus" around the internet and this combination of words isn't in use for anything special. That means the game can be found quick in the internet.


All right, that's it. I hope you'll find this post rather interesting.

I shall return soon, my friends!

random Crow

3 comments:

  1. So, did you just pick the name for the above reasos or are you german yourself? Would be intersting to know if you could just go with it or if it took some research?
    I'm german myself, so the name DID intrigue me just because you don't see many german games like this^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allright let's make it official:

      I am german :D

      Delete
    2. That's pretty cool actually, like i said, there aren't really many Games like this one made in germany. Open up that potential!! xD

      Delete